Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Temples/Shrines


At a temple my friends and I recently visited, there was this place where people stopped to try to throw money into a tiny bowl. According to my Japanese friend, if a person makes it into the bowl, then there wish will come true. I have always found it interesting temples and shrines in Japan have found very efficient ways to make money. Of course me and my friends tried this and although we did not believe our wishes would come true, they were still able to get money out of us because it was fun just to try to get your coins into the tiny bowl.
Another example of this would be when people pay for charms or other trinkets. Maybe it is because I am not a very religious person, but I have always found it odd that temples and shrines make money off selling different kinds of protections. Also I am sure that the money goes into the upkeep of the shrines/temples, but somehow I have always though that it was selfish for the temples/shrines to keep the money. I suppose for me it just seems odd that they are making money off selling the Kami's protection or other such things.

No comments: