Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Geisha



A few weeks ago a Japanese friend of mine showed me around Kyoto. While walking to Kiyomizu temple were talked about various traditional sights of Kyoto and one thing that was borough up was Geisha. I had never taken a class on Geisha or any other kinda of art forum from Japan, but one thing that teachers made sure that we remembered was the idea that Geisha girls were not prostitutes. So I was very surprised me Chieko admitted that many Japanese people thought and know that many Geisha are just high priced prostitutes. It was very interesting to hear this from a Japanese person because for so many years I have been told that the Geisha themselves were too good to be prostitutes.

The picture above was taken at Kiyomizu temple. According to Chieko these two women were actually Geisha and were entertaining a client at the temple.

No comments: