Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Christmas time


Before coming to Japan I had always thought that Christmas is the same all around the world (I think it is a childhood thing). In America Christmas time is all about family. It is the one time a year when family is supposed to come together. However, after coming to Japan I was shocked to find that the Christmas holiday is more of a couple time while New Years is a time for family and friends.
So after discovering that Christmas is just not the same in Japan I was very surprised to find that near my dorm there were a few houses with Christmas lights up. It reminded me very much of home where people would sometime compete together to see who would have the best house decorations that year. However because the house was so nicely decorated, in a way that it seems most Japanese people just do not seem to do, it makes me wounder if the owner of the house is Japanese or a foreigner.

No comments: